The District of Bierzwnik
area: 239 km 2
population: 4 850
Bierzwnik is a town of the borderland between Slovenia and Germany. For many years it was also within the border of the German country. In the early history the most important influence on the development of the region near Bierzwnik had the Cistercian Abbey established in the XIIIth century.
- In 1294 the Cistercians from Ko?lbacz came , and from that time Bierzwnik became a commune under the German laws
- In 1347 the monastery was burnt to the ground
- In 1352 the Cistercian goods referred only to the village of Klasztorno, a part of S?lowin and Radecin
- the Cistercian goods were damaged during the war with Poland in the years 1409-1411, and later during the war between Poland and the Order of Teutonic Knights in the years 1431-1433
- In 1450 the Cistercians possessions included: P?lawienko, Rakowo, Objezierze, Górzno, Kolsk, Wildenow, Ch?lopowo, Bren, Klasztorne, Abbetehagen, Meusdorf, P?lawno and Lake Przeczno
- In 1539 the monastery was secularized
- In the second half of the XVIth century Bierzwnik changed its administrative appurtenance. In the Middle Ages Bierzwnik was located within the District of Strzelce and in 1557 it was incorporated to the County of Choszczno
- In 1633 Bierzwnik was first marked on the map of Brandenburg and the neighbouring countries
- In the XVIIIth century as a result of colonisation conducted by private owners and the country, new settlements came into being in the county
- In the half of the XIXth century evangelics restored the sacred character of the church
- In 1945 fire consumed a huge part of the church
- In 1975 the district was incorporated to the structure of the Gorzów Province.
In 1999 as a result of a new administrative division of the country the district of Bierzwnik was included in the West Pomeranian Province.